Infrastructure Climate Risk Assessment Backgrounder
PIEVC Engineering Protocol (Part 1)
The protocol is a five step process to analyze the engineering vulnerability of an individual infrastructure e.g. a building or an infrastructure system e.g. a potable water treatment and supply system to current and future climate parameters such as extreme heat or extreme rainfall. It is not a spatial risk assessment tool to identify areas of high, medium or low risk. If this is your application use other tools, not this one.
The Protocol document is organized into two parts:
Part 1 (download the document in English) provides background, overview and guidance around the planning and execution of an infrastructure engineering vulnerability assessment. It includes information and advice on acquiring and assessing climate information needed to assess current and future climate for use in the assessment process.
Part 2 provides the detailed five-step procedure and worksheets. It is available through a license agreement with Engineers Canada at no financial charge. A generic form of the license agreement is attached here. Details of this agreement may be modified to suit particular circumstances.
Users of the Protocol are also required to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement which prohibits distributing electronic or hard copies of the Protocol in whole or in part to Third Parties. The generic form of this agreement is available for review here.
Questions concerning the Protocol, the licensing agreement or non-disclosure agreements may be directed to:
Mr. David Lapp, FEC, P.Eng. IRP
Practice Lead, Globalization and Sustainable Development
- Adapting Infrastructure to a Changing Climate (advertisement) (PDF)
- PIEVC promotional video (link to youtube)
- Typical Abstract Agenda - Working Draft (PDF)
First National Engineering Assessment Report
- Appendix A - Case Study Summaries (PDF 1.5MB)
- Appendix B.1 - City of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba (PDF 5MB)
- Appendix B.2 - Town of Placentia, Newfoundland (PDF 1.5MB)
- Appendix B.3 - Metro Vancouver, British Columbia (PDF 5.5MB)
- Appendix B.4 - City of Greater Sudbury,Ontario (PDF 1MB)
- Appendix B.5 - City of Edmonton, Quesnell Bridge Refurbishment (PDF 6MB)
- Appendix B.6 - Northwest Territories, Thermosyphon Foundations (PDF 4.5MB)
- Appendix B.7 - Government of Canada Buildings in Ottawa, Ontario (PDF 2MB)
- Appendix C - Literature_Reviews (PDF 3MB)
- Appendix D - Canada-Wide Assessment Sampling Strategy (PDF 1.3MB)
- Appendix E - Ouranos Climate Change Summary Report (PDF)
- Appendix F - Committees Rosters (PDF)